Saturday, February 26, 2011

Upside-Down Pear Cake (sugar-free and flour-less!)

It's my second day with my new blog and I already have something new! Now, I know that it's called the Quirky Cookie, and I'm already straying away from the cookies, but don't worry, they'll be back!

In the meantime, I have an experimental recipe for you to try. I've been making upside-down plum cakes for awhile, and they are a big hit, but I came across a problem this morning: we didn't have any plums! So rather than getting off the couch and going to the market, I did what I do best: substitute!

And I also mixed it up a little bit to make it a bit tastier, so I hope you like it!

UPSIDE-DOWN PEAR CAKE (or plum!)
So, I have a feeling, for those of you living life without the joys of a springform pan, it is just as easy to use a normal pan, and pour the batter in first with the pears on top. BUT that takes away all the fun, because then the final product won't be a surprise!


And for those who haven't tried pear sauce, it's yummy! I found it at Trader Joe's next to the applesauce. Oh, and don't forget my FAVORITE secret ingredient :)

INGREDIENTS
  • 3-4 Pears (or if trying the plum recipe, I used 8 small plums)
  • 1/2 cup Agave Nectar
  • 6 Tbs Butter
  • 3 Eggs
  • 1/2 cup Milk
  • 1 4oz container of Pear Sauce (or apple sauce works well too)
  • 1 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
  • 1/2 cup Oats
  • 3/4 cup Almond Meal
  • 1/4 tsp Salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
DIRECTIONS
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Layer the inside of a springform pan with foil.
  2. Cut thin slices of the pears and, in a large bowl, mix with agave nectar.
  3. Arrange Pear slices in concentric circles in the springform pan, overlapping slightly.
  4. In electric mixer, beat butter until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time. Add milk, pear sauce, and vanilla extract.
  5. In separate bowl, combine dry ingredients. Slowly add to butter mixture.
  6. Pour over pears evenly.
  7. Bake for 45 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes and loosen the edge of cake from foil.
  8. Flip over and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. This looks yummy, I was wondering if granny smith apples will work (if I boil them a little first) since I don't have pears? and Brown rice or sorghum flour since I dnt have almond meal...or maybe corn meal? IDK, guess I have to try and see huh?

    ReplyDelete