Friday, February 25, 2011

Welcome! (Flour and sugar free oatmeal raisin cookies)

Hello everyone! I am so excited to be starting this blog because now I can share my passion of baking with all of you! However, my approach to baking might be a little different...quirkier...than yours. I try to lead a healthy lifestyle, and unfortunately dessert is not always a welcomed guest in my household. So I have a solution: using not-so-common healthy (or healthier) substitions for common recipes. Yes, it is possible! And I spend hours (and hours and hours and hours) experimenting to come up with the perfect and delicious recipes.

And so without further ado....ta-da! My first recipe:
Flour AND Sugar Free Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
These are definitely a favorite in my house!
So first, I need to give you some info on the ingredients you may not be familar with:
  • Agave nectar: this is a natural sweetener, which is substituted for sugar. It is a lot like honey, and is very sweet. Agave nectar has properties similar to real sugar so it is more practical than other articial sweeteners BUT because it is a liquid I usually end up using another sugar substitute (like Splenda) as well to give the cookies a better consistency. It can be found at most supermarkets. If you want to know more, I used this website http://www.allaboutagave.com/
  • Almond Meal: All it is is crushed up almonds. That's it. And it can be substituted for flour to give your baked goods a sweeter taste (and it's nutritious!). However, it's consistency is more like corn meal than flour so it doesn't give cookies or muffins much structure, but using a couple more eggs usually helps. I buy it at Trader Joe's, and all health food stores should have it. And if you can't find it, just get out the food processor and start grinding!
Okay, I think I've covered all the bases and we are finally ready to bake! Here's the recipe you've been waiting for:

INGREDIENTS
3/4 cup butter
1/2 cup agave nectar
3/4 cup sugar substitute (I used Splenda)
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract (or sugar-free vanilla sweetener)
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups oats
1 1/4 cup almond meal
1 cup raisins

INSTRUCTIONS
Preheat oven to 375 degrees Farenheit

In electric mixer, mix together butter, agave nectar, and sugar substitute. Add eggs and vanilla.
In separate bowl, combine baking soda, cinnamon, salt, oats, and almond meal. Slowly add to butter mixture until fully blended. Add raisins.

Drop by tablespoons onto ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool and remove from baking sheet.
(don't be alarmed if the cookies are really soft, they are supposed to be!)


See, it's easy. You should try it! I promise you will be happy you did!

3 comments:

  1. Just in time to give the Girl Scout Cookies boxing up the hood a good run for their money!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look awesome Anya and I love the look of your blog! GREAT job :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just tried these today! Very Yummy and not at all guilt-inducing ;P awesome job Anya!!

    ReplyDelete