Saturday, April 2, 2011

Sugar-Free, Gluten-Free Black Bean Brownies

Black beans in a brownie...whaaaat?! Although it may not sound too appetizing, don't be fooled by the name. These brownies are scrumptious! The black beans are undetectable, but they give the brownie some substance and packs them with protein...what's so bad about that? With the beans, you end up using less of all the other ingredients, so it's also a money saver. By using 3/4 cup black beans, you only need 1/3 cup flour (or in this case, a flour substitute to make them gluten-free). Not to mention, they are super easy to make!! All the ingredients are thrown into the blender and...ta-da! Yummy brownies!


Convinced to try them yet? 

....What about now? They look good, don't they?

When I first tasted it, I wasn't so sure. The recipe calls for a teaspoon of instant coffee, which you can definitely taste (not that that is a bad thing, but it was unexpected). I also decided to use carob chips, which are a vegan substitute for chocolate chips (for a description, I'll put them on my substitutions page). Before using them, MAKE SURE that you actually like carob...because they have an interesting taste. Although they are a substitute for chocolate, they don't really taste like chocolate- they have more of a nutty taste.

That being said, I took some brownies to school and they went over pretty well. Nobody seemed to complain about the coffee or carob!

I'm going to post the recipe, but I might come back and make some changes later. I'm going to work on this recipe this week, because I think I can make them even better! (not to undermine this recipe, it's DELICIOUS)

And now it is time for- Oh wait! Before giving you the recipe I also want to say that I got the idea from the food network (yes, I'm obsessed), and I did some research and this is actually a popular recipe. Who knows, you might have tried a black bean brownie before and just didn't know it because it was too damn good to know you were eating beans!

Ok, and NOW it is time for the recipe!!!

BLACK BEAN BROWNIES

INGREDIENTS
  • 3/4 Cup cooked black beans
  • 1/2 Cup vegetable or olive oil (I used olive- don't worry, you won't be able to taste it)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 Cup unsweetened coca powder
  • 1/3 Cup agave nectar
  • 2 bananas
  • 1 tsp instant coffee or espresso
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 pckg sugar substitute (I used Truvia)
  • 1/2 Cup carob chips (or chocolate chips)
  • 1/3 Cup White Rice Flour (or brown rice flour-see substitutions)
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt


DIRECTIONS
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. In a blender, puree beans and oil (ok, I know it looks kinda gross...but I promise you, it gets better).
  3. Add eggs, cocoa, agave, banana, coffee, vanilla, and sugar packet. Blend until smooth.
  4. In small bowl combine rice flour, baking powder and salt. Add to blender and pulse just until fully mixed.
  5. Stir in chocolate chips.
  6. Pour into greased pan (I used 9x9 inch pan)
  7. Bake for 30 minutes and enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment